Saturday, September 1, 2012

iEstoy feliz como un lombriz!

Ayer estoy feliz como un lombriz! (Right now I am as happy as a worm!) Guatemala is everything I hoped it would be and more. Annie, Kate, Jensen, and I spent our first three nights in an adorable little hotel in Antigua. We explored the city and learned more about one another. On Thursday morning, after a breakfast of mosh (similar to oatmeal) and huevos y frijoles (eggs and beans) we took a taxi to San Juan del Obispo.  San Juan is a small town outside of Antigua with a beautiful view of the volcano and surrounding mountains. Each of us had a host family waiting to welcome us into their home. My host mom, Dolores, carried my duffle bag on her head as we trekked up the cobblestone hill to her two story casa (house). We were greeted by Toffe, a gregarious perrito (puppy), and el loro (a parrot) se llama Raul (named Raul). Dolores lives with her husband Julio and spends most week days watching her nieta (granddaughter) Camilla. Despues de almuerzo delicioso (after a delicious lunch) we walked a few blocks to our language school. Each of us has our own maestra (teacher), mi maestra se llama Beatriz (my teacher is named Beatriz). I have only had two lessons so far, but I can already tell that I am improving. Next week I will have classes in the morning and outings in the afternoon. I am so excited to continue getting to know Guatemala and her cultura bonita (beautiful culture).

I found out today that my family will be coming to visit me on the 26th of December! I am eager to see my mom, dad, and sister, and I cannot wait to show them the country that I am growing to love. I will end this post with a quote from Douglas Wood,

And maybe it is only on the trail to nowhere-in-particular that you find the most important thing of all. Yourself.
 

1 comment:

  1. Hola Rachel! I remember the volcano so well! We could see it outside our window in Guatemala City! It towers above the horizon very handsomely...If I remember correctly, it is dormant..verdad?

    I am so happy that step by step, you have found your way to the language school in Antigua and have enjoyed the people and places along the way!

    What an incredible surprise to learn that your family will visit at Christmas time! I wish that me and my daughter could stow away in their bags!

    I can't wait to hear more about the next leg of this amazing adventure! Love, Mrs. I.

    ReplyDelete