Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Lessons Learned in the Guat: Part 2

Lesson 7: Discard your personal bubble prior to entering a Chicken Bus.
When on a Chicken Bus, be aware that you do not have a right to your own space. You might think that you have a right to your space, however, you don´t. You might think that bus seats are meant for two people. They´re not. Bus seats are meant for as many people as is humanly possible. Even if there isn´t room for another person in your seat, someone is bound to find just the right amount of space. In fact, many people, including large men, will take your lap into account. Just the other day I was sitting on a Chicken Bus next to an older gentleman, minding my own business, when a significantly larger older gentleman decided to sit with us. Now, I did not think there would be room for this man, but there was. This older gentleman found ample space. On my lap. It´s a damn good thing I remembered to get rid of my bubble, because if I hadn´t, that man would have burst it.

Lesson 8: Brace Yourself.
Prior to taking a shower it is important to prepare yourself. This shower is going to be frigid. In fact, this shower is going to make your teeth chatter and cause every hair on your body stand on end. I have never in my life worried about taking a shower as much as I dred showering in the Guat. To be honest, I don´t shower as frequently because I find it utterly unpleasant. I don´t shower when it´s raining, because I´ll be impossibly cold. As the water cascades down on my head, I try to think about the fact that my hair is growing, but that doesn´t help very much. Sometimes in the morning, I forget to brace myself before hopping in the shower. This is very bad. When I forget to brace myself I shout out in surprise, because I am so shocked by how freezing the water is. I read in a magazine that cold water is good for your hair. I hope that´s true. I hate cold showers now, and it´s only September. I can´t imagine how cold it´ll be in December.

Lesson 9: Watch your step.
The ground here is almost never even. Most of the streets are cobblestone, however, the stones are haphazardly placed and all happen to be different sizes. For a klutz like me, Guatemalan streets are a huge accident waiting to happen. It doesn´t help that pedestrians do not have the right of way here. The sidewalks here are very narrow and there are a lot of protruding window things that are waiting to bash your head. So actually, the lesson is really to watch out. Beware. The streets of Guatemala are dangerous, but not for the reasons you might think. I have yet to witness a pickpocketing. I haven´t seen any crazed drug dealers on the loose. What I have seen is my face coming dangerously close to the ground countless times, becuase I can´t help but trip all over the place.

No comments:

Post a Comment